Carbon-reinforced PETG is stronger and stiffer than normal PETG.
Carbon Fiber PETG (Polyethylene Terephthalate Glycol-Modified) refers to a type of filament that combines PETG thermoplastic resin with carbon fiber reinforcement. This composite material offers enhanced strength, stiffness, and heat resistance compared to standard PETG filaments.
The addition of carbon fiber to PETG provides several advantages, including improved mechanical properties, dimensional stability, and resistance to impact. Here are some general characteristics and technical properties of Carbon Fiber PETG:
- Strength: Carbon fiber reinforcement significantly enhances the tensile and flexural strength of PETG, resulting in improved structural integrity and resistance to deformation.
- Stiffness: The carbon fibers impart high stiffness to the PETG matrix, increasing its resistance to bending and improving dimensional accuracy.
- Heat Resistance: The addition of carbon fibers enhances the heat resistance of the filament. Carbon Fiber PETG can withstand higher temperatures without deforming or losing its mechanical properties.
- Printability: Carbon Fiber PETG is compatible with standard PETG printing settings and can be used with most FDM (Fused Deposition Modeling) 3D printers. However, due to the presence of carbon fibers, it may require specific nozzle and printer adjustments to prevent clogging.
- Surface Finish: Carbon Fiber PETG typically has a matte or textured surface finish due to the presence of carbon fibers. This can provide a unique aesthetic appearance to printed parts.
- Electrical Conductivity: Carbon fibers have inherent electrical conductivity, so Carbon Fiber PETG can exhibit improved electrical properties compared to standard PETG.
It's important to note that the specific technical properties of Carbon Fiber PETG can vary depending on the specific formulation, fiber content, and manufacturing process. Therefore, it's advisable to refer to the manufacturer's specifications for accurate information regarding the technical properties of a particular Carbon Fiber PETG filament.
Here are the technical properties of Carbon Fiber PETG as per the provided ranges:
|Tensile strength||56 - 58 MPa|
|Tensile modulus||5230 - 6600 MPa|
|Tensile elongation||2.3 - 3%|
|Flexural strength||78 - 82 MPa|
|Flexural modulus||5700 - 5790 MPa|
|HDT (0.45 MPa)||77°C|
These values represent the typical ranges for the technical properties of Carbon Fiber PETG. However, it's important to note that the exact properties can vary depending on the specific formulation, fiber content, and manufacturing process. It is advisable to refer to the manufacturer's specifications for precise information on a particular Carbon Fiber PETG filament.