Carbon-reinforced PLA is stronger and stiffer than normal PLA.
Carbon Fiber PLA refers to a type of filament that combines polylactic acid (PLA) thermoplastic resin with carbon fiber reinforcement. This composite material offers enhanced strength, stiffness, and heat resistance compared to standard PLA filaments.
The addition of carbon fiber to PLA provides several advantages, including improved mechanical properties, dimensional stability, and resistance to impact. Here are some general characteristics and technical properties of Carbon Fiber PLA:
- Strength: Carbon fiber reinforcement significantly enhances the tensile and flexural strength of PLA, resulting in improved structural integrity and resistance to deformation.
- Stiffness: The carbon fibers impart high stiffness to the PLA matrix, increasing its resistance to bending and improving dimensional accuracy.
- Heat Resistance: The addition of carbon fibers enhances the heat resistance of the filament. Carbon Fiber PLA can withstand higher temperatures without deforming or losing its mechanical properties compared to standard PLA.
- Printability: Carbon Fiber PLA is compatible with standard PLA printing settings and can be used with most FDM (Fused Deposition Modeling) 3D printers. However, due to the presence of carbon fibers, it may require specific nozzle and printer adjustments to prevent clogging.
- Surface Finish: Carbon Fiber PLA typically has a matte or textured surface finish due to the presence of carbon fibers. This can provide a unique aesthetic appearance to printed parts.
- Electrical Conductivity: Carbon fibers have inherent electrical conductivity, so Carbon Fiber PLA can exhibit improved electrical properties compared to standard PLA.
It's important to note that the specific technical properties of Carbon Fiber PLA can vary depending on the specific formulation, fiber content, and manufacturing process. Therefore, it's advisable to refer to the manufacturer's specifications for accurate information regarding the technical properties of a particular Carbon Fiber PLA filament.
Here are the technical properties of Carbon Fiber PLA as per the provided ranges:
|Tensile strength||47 - 49 MPa|
|Tensile modulus||4791 - 4950 MPa|
|Flexural strength||89 - 114 MPa|
|Flexural modulus||6300 - 6340 MPa|
|HDT (0.45 MPa)||56 - 80°C|
These values represent the typical ranges for the technical properties of Carbon Fiber PLA. However, it's important to note that the exact properties can vary depending on the specific formulation, fiber content, and manufacturing process. It is advisable to refer to the manufacturer's specifications for precise information on a particular Carbon Fiber PLA filament.ShareRetry